Frequently Asked Questions
Below, some of the most frequently asked questions about Supporting the Scholarship Foundation:
After twenty years in existence why is the Scholarship Foundation now running a fund raising campaign?
The donations that the Scholarship Foundation now receives are primarily from hotel contributors and a few friends of the tourism industry. By expanding potential sponsors to include those persons and companies that benefit from the tourism industry, the Scholarship Foundation can provide more scholarships to needy students and at the same time build its endowment thus becoming more self-sufficient.
Who decided on the campaign’s goals and priorities?
In 2010, the Board of Directors of the Foundation engaged in a comprehensive process to determine its future goals and priorities. In order to reach these goals, it was necessary to identify more specific funding opportunities. This planning culminated in the present campaign.
How does the Scholarship Foundation ensure that the scholarship recipients contribute to Puerto Rico’s tourism industry?
All scholarship recipients are required to sign a formal contract obligating them to work in Puerto Rico’s tourism industry for six months for every year they have received scholarship assistance. Also, a professional hospitality mentor is assigned to each student to guide them in their academic and career decisions as well as to assist them in the fulfillment of internship requirements and job placement upon graduation.
How does the Scholarship Foundation evaluate its program? Our program is best evaluated through the success of our scholarship recipients. We look at the following:
- Return of our students to work in Puerto Rico’s hospitality industry
- Students stay working in the hospitality industry even after complying with their contractual obligations with the Foundation
- Rise of our students to positions of leadership Students becoming Foundation mentors and Board members
As a supporter of the Scholarship Foundation, what benefits will I receive?
- Participation in the development of the hospitality industry’s future leaders
- Listing on our webpage – logo and by category
What are the levels of sponsorship?
- Platinum Sponsors: $10,000 and over per year
- Gold Sponsors: $5,000 to $10,000 per year
- Silver Sponsors: $2,500 to $5,000 per year
- Bronze Sponsors: Up to $2,500 per year
What can I do to help?
All vibrant industries have at their center great leaders. To ensure that our tourism industry is vibrant, we need your help. Together we can build a Scholarship Foundation that continues to develop leaders who will further strengthen all aspects of the tourism industry in Puerto Rico. The Scholarship Foundation’s strength is drawn from its community, friends, alumni and supporters who help us achieve excellence. We invite you to “Invest in Our Future…the Second Twenty Years” by filling out the Pledge Agreement.